Foreign residents who possess a vehicle must register their vehicle at the Transportation Administration Division (Gyotong Haengjeong-gwa) of district offices. If an agent is to register a vehicle instead of the owner, the agent must bring the owner's seal registered and a power of attorney form.
For those who purchase their vehicle in Korea, the following documents are required.
- · Certificate of Vehicle Manufacture (Jadongcha Jejakjeung)
- · Certificate of Alien Registration (Oegukin Deungnokjeung)
- · Proof of Automobile Liability Insurance (Chaekim Boheom Gaip Sasil Jeungmyeongseo)
- · Temporary Driving Permission (Imsi Unhaeng Heogajeung) or valid Driver's License
- · Temporary Number Plate for Vehicle (Imsi Unhaeng Heoga Beonhopan)
- · Receipt from Payment of Registration Tax (Deungnokse Napbu Yeongsujeung)
- · Receipt of Regional Development Promotion Bond (Jiyeok Gaebal Gongchae Maeip Piljeung)
For those who purchased their vehicle abroad to bring to Korea, a certificate of vehicle manufacture (Jadongcha Jejakjeung) is not required. Instead an import license (Suip Myeonjang) or a proof of import (Suip Sasil Jeungmyeongseo) and a new inspection certificate (Singyu Geomsa Jeungmyeongseo) are needed.