This is a Scheme as soon as I saw it was "no way, are you joking!" Below is the email but here is the reason why I would not take such a position:
- There is no such thing as a training period in South Korea you are virtually thrown in for less money.
- Additional duties are work for no pay.
- Back up teachers will receive only 80%, why would anyone even consider that, you are doing a full-time job.
- 15 months (3 months + 12 months) severance amount will only reflect the 12 months after the training period, do not get me wrong but as far as I can tell I think that is against Korean law, I am sure that you will not be able to get a E2 visa for 15 months, sound like the teacher will be working illegally for 3 months.
- Back up teachers priority in choosing the campus of their choice (if positions are available), in my experience this will not happen it is a lie.
- 12:30pm to 8:30pm(Langcon) / 2pm to10pm (For elementary)/ 3pm to 11pm (For middle/IVY school) are you kidding me unreasonable working hours, which to my figures is 40 hours a week, maximum is 30 hours per week, where is the overtime?
- 2.1m ~ 2.5m won, standard pay with normal benefits but 80% for the first 3 months.
- Monday ~ Saturday (one day off during weekdays!) No weekends? No thank you! What can you do on just one day off, travelling is out.
- Just one more thing, working at different campuses, that is illegal unless it is clearly stated on your E2 visa.
Below is the deal
*Substitute teaching positions (4)
- First time teaching ? Uncomfortable teaching in a classroom setting yet?
- Not sure what age group you want to teach?
- Not familiar which area you want to live?
Smart Move :) = start as a substitute and get highly trained. After three months, you get the priority to choose your location and your student age group.
Purpose: In the effort to reduce as much damage to the campus and the company at times when Avalon is in need of “ASAP teachers” we have decided to start a new program to hire “Back-up Teachers.”
Details: Beginning of every semester(March/June/September/
Additional duties of these teachers will include filling in for absent foreign teachers at any one of Avalon campuses, edit curriculum provided by New Boarder and other miscellaneous teaching related tasks.
Contract: The duration of the contractual period for this position is approx. 15 months (3 months + 12 months). The contract for the back up teachers will slightly differ.
Benefits: During the three training months, the teachers will be provided with the benefits we provide for our regular teachers (pension, health insurance, flight, accommodation).
Salary: However, during the training period, the back up teachers will receive only 80% of their contracted base salary. Once the teachers complete the three months of training and are placed in campuses, they will receive the full salary amount.
Severance: Also, their severance amount will only reflect the 12 months after the training period not an amount of approx. 15months.
Campus Placement after training: Upon the completion of the three months training, the teachers will be placed at campuses to start teaching as would a new teacher. We will give the back up teachers priority in choosing the campus of their choice (if positions are available). Once the teacher officially starts teaching at a campus, they will receive the full salary amount.
*General Benefit and Working Conditions
- Openings: (4)
- Location: *In or Around Seoul
- Working hours: 12:30pm to 8:30pm(Langcon) / 2pm to10pm (For elementary)/ 3pm to 11pm (For middle/IVY school)
- Salary: 2.1m ~ 2.5m won/ month (80% during the Backup teaching period of 3 months)
- Single housing (Nice Housing)
- Monday ~ Saturday (one day off during weekdays!)
- Student type: Elementary: aged 11~13/ Middle/IVY: aged 14~16
- Starting date: end of Nov. ~ Dec.
- Vacation: 10 days + National Holidays
- National pension / health insurance: 50% paid by the school
- Severance: Equal to one month salary
- Airfare: Reimbursed