South Korea

Search ESLwatch

Log in Register

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *

If you feel you are the victim of any of the following practices, or other forms of unfairness or deception, either let us know or contact ESL Law directly.

The greater % of Deceptive Practices are attributable to Private hogwons (schools). You should be aware of the following and be prepared to deal with them:-



0 # Work Illegally or be DismissedGuest 2010-06-13 13:29
Deceptive Practices. I have looked at my Contract and it states that I should go to wherever my Director tells me. Now this has not happened until now. I am coming up to the last four months of my contract and the Director is asking me to work at a second school. I have been working at the school for coming up to 3 years.

I know that it is illegal as I took a training day set up by the Hagwon Association. I have explained to my Supervisor and Director that it is illegal and that they add it on to my E2-Visa, they keep on giving me excuses and even though I do not speak Korean I am very good at picking up languages. I would like to know what can I do about this situation. Is it even worth me trying to sort this out now so close to the end of my contract?

I hope that someone you can help me.
+1 # Reply : Deceptive PracticesRichard Hawkes - EFL Law 2010-06-14 22:44
It is indeed illegal for those on E2 visas to teach at a place not listed on the back of their alien registration card. If you want to avoid working illegally, then you must insist that they take you down to the local immigration office and ask permission for you to teach at another location. I can't believe that it would take more than a day and I don't understand why they don't do this and avoid the risk of being caught and fined, unless they've tried and failed before. The immigration office need to physically add the additional address to the back of your card, so if they say they "called immigration and it's okay", well they'd be lying.

The danger of refusing to go to the other school of course is that you run the risk of them being difficult when it comes to collecting your severance pay and any bonuses. If you are threatened with being fired or not receiving monies owed to you, then you'll need to contact the Korean Labor office. If you anticipate a problem, you should probably call them ASAP; formal complaints have to be made in person (I believe) so you'll need a Korean speaker with you to translate, someone you trust. By calling them now, you will at least have an idea of the next step, should they start trying to be difficult.

Stick to your guns calmly and confidently, and you should be okay. If they start acting unreasonably, then you should say that you have contacted the immigration and labor offices and that they told you not to do it as it is illegal.

The numbers and sites below might be of use to you.

That's all I can really advise you to do, I'm afraid.

Good luck


Labor office
Contact the labor office start a complaint procedure. Formal complaints need to be made in person with a Korean speaker with you for translation purposes. If things get bad, a call from them can get things on track, though not not always.
Number for foreign workers is: 031-345-5000

Immigration Website:

Seoul Global Center:
There are some numbers for free advice at certain times below: Just replace the XXXX with the right extensions: 02-2075-(+ ext.)

Multilingual consultations
English - 4130, 4131, 4138

Professional consultations (Mon., Wed., Fri. 14:00~17:00)
Labor consulting 4124
Legal consulting 4125
Tax consulting 4145

Adding Your institution is Easy as 1-2-3

Simply add your institution, the form only takes a few minutes.

Register yourself on the website confirm that you are a human. Wait for confirmation via email.

Once you login to the website you can then review your chosen institution.

Recently Added

Pingxiang Experimental School is a private school located in Jiangxi, China. Address: Wang Gong Tan, An Yuan District, Pingxiang City,...
Pingxiang Enxin Experimental School is a private school located in Jiangxi, China. Address: 46 Fuqian Road, Shangli, Jiangxi, China. Website: Pingxiang...
Erasmus In School (EIS) is an online website located in Spain. Address: Spain Website: Erasmus In School (EIS)...
USTkid is an online website located in Nan Jing, China. Address: Jian Ye Qu Huang Shan Lu 12Hao 323, Nan...
Al Ain Academy is a international school located in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates. Address: Al Salam Street, Sarooj, Al...
NNA International School is an international school located in Hanoi, Vietnam. Address: Hue, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, Phu...
Shining Star is an international kindergarten located in Hanoi, Vietnam. Address: No 19 Tay Ho, Quang An Ward, Tay Ho...

Connect With Us Today

We believe it’s important to stay closely connected with the great individuals and organizations in the ESL/EFL industry, and what better way than through social media? We’re constantly posting updates online and participating in the buzz.

Please consider connecting with us on the following social media websites to stay up-to-date and connected!


Select a Country

Have you added your Institution!

Add your institution for review!

Thank for using ESLwatch, just one more thing before you go. Have you added your institution for review?

Does not matter if it is a school, college, university, recruiter, company, individual or online website that you have had dealings with in the past or present. The review form only takes a few minutes and you do not have to review the institution yourself.


Add Your Institution for Review